The Chamberlain Group (CGI) owners of Chamberlain and LiftMaster garage door openers that uses MyQ technology allowing their customers to open their garage doors and turn on their house lights using an app on their smart phone has joined forces with Honeywell’s Total Connect smart home security system in August of this year. (2018)
If you have at least the basic Honeywell Total Connect 2.0 and MyQ garage door opener, the joining of these two apps allows you to operate and monitor both your security system and your garage door with one simple integrated app.
Simple and Easy Integration
Integration of your Chamberlain MyQ enabled garage door opener and your Total Connect 2.0 security system is a relatively simple and easy process. Before you begin the integration process, there are a couple of prerequisites you need to satisfied. These Prerequisites are:
You must have a MyQ enabled garage door opener and have the MyQ app already installed on iOS or android device. You also must have at least a basic Total Connect 2.0 security system and an automation enabled remote account with your Total Connect 2.0 app installed on your PC, iOS or Android device.
If both of these prerequisites are met, you can then begin to integrate the two apps. To integrate you simply follow these steps:
- Start by logging into your Total Connect 2.0 App and then go to the automation tab and choose manage devices.
- When A list of devices comes up on the screen you then need to select the appropriate garage door opener you want to integrate (Either your MyQ enabled LiftMaster or Chamberlain garage door opener.)
- Select your method of integration and their select add your existing garage door
- Enter your Valid email address and password and the authenticate the information.
- A display will come up showing all of your previously set up garage doors. Choose the garage door or doors you want to be controlled from the Total Connect 2.0 app.
- Select save and click OK.
You can now view all the garage doors you have just added to your automation tab.
Advantages of Integrating MyQ Technology with Total Connect 2.0 As A Step Towards A Smart Home
There are several advantages of Integrating MyQ technology with your Honeywell Total Connect 2.0 home security system. These Advantages include:
- You get control over all your smart home devices with one simple app. You will be able to control your garage door, security system, lights, thermostat, air condition and a host of other electrical devices through that app and a touch of your finger.
- You will be able to create a safer and more secure home for you family. You will be able to close and lock your garage door, lock the doors of your home, set your security alarms and receive notifications if anyone tries to enter your home.
- You can save energy by keeping your heat turned low or your air conditioner off while you are not at home and then turn back on in advance of your homecoming. While these features allow you to return to a comfortable home, you will also be able to keep your lights off all day and then when you return home at night, turn them on when you arrive home before leaving the safety of your car.
- You will be able to save money due to the lower energy consumption. The more control you have over your smart home’s energy consumption, the more money you will be able to save over a period of time. Of course, you’ll need to keep in mind that smart home technology will cost you some money upfront.
- You may be able to provide the elderly and people with certain physical handicaps with more independence. Just like garage door openers can help the elderly open those heavy garage doors, a smart home can allow the elderly and others to perform some household chores such as watering their lawn without needing the assistance of others. By being able to turn on their sprinkler system other devices without assistance, these people can continue to be independent much longer than ever before.
While technology has not yet created a totally easy to control smart home, it is headed in the right direction and integrating the Total Connect 2.0 with MyQ technology is another step forward in home automation and creating the smart home of near future.